Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Amtrak Train 29 - The Capitol Limited

e061015-18c085a-wb

I was doing a two-week swing in Maryland, Virginia and Pennsylania, and drove there from Chicago. On the way, I stopped in Harpers Ferry to do a little train photography (who cares about that history stuff?!?). Back in August, a guy at the Folkston Funnel turned me on to this spot.

On Sunday, my first attempt, it didn't turn out well. I hung around for a couple of hours, and only one train appeared and it showed up when I wasn't anywhere near a shooting spot. Later I realized, after my seminar in Frederick, Maryland on Wednesday, I'd be only 30 minutes from Harpers Ferry.

Since the weather was cooperative, I made a second attempt that evening to meet the westbound Amtrak train at 5:06pm. I got there with about 20 minutes to spare. I also had a chance to talk with some folks who were waiting for the train. They were going to the Great Lakes Naval Training Center north of Chicago for their son's (and grandson's) graduation. So I congratulated them and asked them to pass on my thanks to their son. They were real nice, salt-of-the-earth type folks. And clearly very proud.

Finally, the train showed up and was I able to get a couple of decent pictures of the train coming out of the tunnel on the Maryland side of the Potomac River with some nice, late afternoon sun. Which was my objective.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
October 2006
e061015-18c085a-wb


COPYRIGHT 2006 by JimFrazier All Rights Reserved. This may NOT be used for ANY reason without written consent from Jim Frazier.

No comments: