Sunday, January 17, 2010

McDonald's


McDonald's, originally uploaded by Jim Frazier.

Lafayette, Indiana
For my www.jimfrazier.com/bigcities.htm project.

But I also have a story about this store.

Years ago, I was a rep for a software company and was driving back from an event in Indianapolis with my systems engineer (we'll call Rich) and a woman from the office, who we'll call Donna. It was getting to be time to eat and we pulled off of I65 at Lafayette. Both Rich and I made this trip weekly, and we both liked to stop at the various McDonald's along the way. We were connoisseurs.

Donna had no objection so we parked at this particular store.

As we were walking across the parking lot, Donna said, "You know, I've never been in a McDonald's before."

Rich and I stopped in our tracks. "What? You've raised two kids, and you're about to be a grandmother, and you've never set foot in one of these?"

"No, I've never taken them to McDonald's."

Donna was wealthy. She lived in Lake Forest (a very rich suburb in the northern suburbs of Chicago). She worked at our office mostly for something interesting to do. And we all loved her. She was classy, but she was one of the nicest and most caring people I know. So I can see how someone like her might not have had the need (or desire) to set foot in something as common as a McDonald's.

As we got to the counter, she had to actually INSPECT AND READ THE MENU! Who does that? The only reason I check is to see if the McRib is back. Then she said, "What's a Big Mac?"

Rich and I looked at each other and said, "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onion on a sesame seed bun."

She bought a Big Mac. And she loved it.

True story.

---
Some pictures from my seminar swing last week from Indianapolis to Pittsburgh
January 2010

COPYRIGHT 2010 by Jim Frazier All Rights Reserved. This may NOT be used for ANY reason without consent. See www.jimfrazier.com for more information.

frazier-jim-100116-09c-IMG_0847a-wb

No comments: