Monday, January 18, 2010

Framing

I took these pictures from my hotel room in Pittsburgh last week, and they may provide a good example of "framing."

I composed this picture reasonably carefully, given that it was night, I was precariously perched on a hassock with three legs, and I was trying not to let my camera fall out of the open window. While the dome is not in a "rule of thirds" spot, the roads around the dome make a really nice frame.
The View from Room 1815 at the Pittsburgh Doubletree - Night

Also, note how the roads coming in from below add to the framing by drawing the eye into the picture.

Compare a similarly composed shot in the daytime where the roads still frame the subject, but there isn't the contrast that would make the "frame" show up.
The View from Room 1815 at the Pittsburgh Doubletree - Day

When you're composing your shot, look for framing devices that you can use.

Jim Frazier

No comments: