Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Transcontinental Railroad Trip - June-July 2008

After finishing up a seminar swing in Salt Lake City, and going to the American Birding Association convention on Saturday, I drove home to Chicago. There were three objectives...I wanted to see and photograph parts of Wyoming and Nebraska that I had never been to, I wanted to follow some of the Lincoln Highway, and I wanted to photograph Union Pacific trains along the historic transcontinental railroad.

Some of the trip was guided by my own research into railroad destinations, but mostly by a book by Brian Butko, "Greetings from the Lincoln Highway". This is an excellent book for anyone thinking about taking any part of this trip. It really turned me on to some neat stuff.

Details of the trip

I stayed in Cheyenne the first night (Sunday - 6/29/08), Grand Island on the second night (Monday - 6/30/08), and then streaked for home on Tuesday (7/1/08) with only a few stops.

One major stop that generated some great pictures was at the Cody Cody Park Railroad Museum in North Platte, Nebraska.

See all of the pictures from this trip (as they're posted).

No comments: